reviving wilted hydrangeas

Buy meee… Vivy, buy me…. stop avoiding eye contact…. buy meeeee.

Those darn hydrangeas.

Sitting in the cold room looking out at me from the transparent glass. I hate them, they always die on me. But gosh, they’re so beautiful. Imagine that blue one in my living room. Ahhh, no no stop looking. They’re expensive and they die like on the way home. They’re the most diva flowers I’ve ever met. I’d rather intern at a vegetarian restaurant than take care of hydrangeas.

“Can you get me those orchids, and maybe a couple of those roses…” I speak to the florist, one eye still lingering at the hydrangeas. STOP LOOKING BACK AT ME.

“Is that all?” The florist asked after preparing the flower pots for me.

“Umm…”

And there you see me walking back to my car, hugging orchids in one arm, roses on the other… and hydrangeas too.

I AM SO WEAK, SO SO WEAK.

But they really are gorgeous. I got 4 stalks. 2 balls of the dreamy blue ones and 2 balls of the gorgeous pastel pink ones. On the way home, I’m already imagining the flatlays I’m going to take with these babies. Hmmm, what do I have to flatlay today? Any products from FV? Hmm, maybe those pink ones I can put in that vase that Mom gave me — WAIT A MINUTE, ARE THEY WILTING RIGHT NOW?!! That blue one was straight just now, now it’s bent a bit. Omg the nerve of this flower. I just spent so much on them and it hasn’t even been 2 minutes! DON’T YOU DARE DIE ON ME, YOU BALL OF GORGEOUSNESS YOU.

The whole ride home, I kept staring at them and silently kicking myself in the butt for believing that florist who told me that this hydrangeas batch would last for a week. You never learn, Vivy, you never learn.

Zero flatlays done, the next day, they have wilted. Ugh. But luckily, I was told about the magic solution to revive hydrangeas. Kinda like Hydrangeas CPR. I read on Google that you can put them in hot water and in a few hours, the bloom again. My maid thought I was mental, but whatever, they’re so expensive that my sanity can come second this time.

IMG_5054

Wrap the flowers with paper towels to protect them from the hot water steam.

IMG_5056

Fill up a vase with boiling hot water

IMG_5059

Cut the stalk a little bit, diagonally.

IMG_5061

Put them in the vase and leave them.

“You should talk to them. No joke, flowers have feelings,” Asma’ told me that night. I would normally laugh but I was desperate to save them.

I looked at them. They looked back at me, all wilted. “Ok… so umm.. I have faith in you, dear hydrangeas. You’re so expensive and I need to show my husband that you’re worth it. Please live….”

I gave them a flying kiss goodnight and went to bed. Pretty sure my maid saw that from the kitchen and is questioning her employment here.

This morning, I was so excited to see if it worked. According to the article, they will bloom again like normal.

And the results this morning…

FullSizeRender

WHY DO YOU HATE ME?!

WE HAD A MOMENT YESTERDAY, I EVEN GAVE YOU A FLYING KISS.

FINE I SEE THAT YOU LOOK FRESHER AND YOU PROBABLY TRIED, BUT TRY HARDER!

Ish. I expected a full bloom of 4 beautiful balls, but instead of being 80% dead, they’re probably like 60% dead. Still dead to me.

“You just stay away from hydrangeas k,” Asma’ told me this morning.

Fine.

But yeah, you should try this. Maybe your hydrangeas are less stubborn than mine. Or you’re a better sweet talker… sigh.

18 Comments

• DZ
    January 24, 2016 - 4:28 pm | Permalink

channel madonna and tell yourself “i absolutely loathe hydrangeas” whenever you see or are presented with a bunch of them

^ ^

p/s still waiting for the release of all-leather sofina mini! or should i say nano

• Ya
    January 24, 2016 - 5:29 pm | Permalink

Vivy, these are few tips from the DIY FB group I joined.. Too many tips, not sure which is the best one tho…

1. Put a tablet of panadol and try to change water everyday, it lasts for one week plus.
    2. Dissolve 3 tbs sugar and 2 tbs white vinegar per liter of cold water. When you fill the vase, make sure the cut stems are covered by 3-4 inches of the prepared water. The sugar nourishes the plants, while the vinegar inhibits bacterial growth.
    3. They need a lot of water.
    4. It needs to be in water/wet sponge and air cond room and to spray the flowers with water once in a while.
    5. Sometimes the seller will mix sell old flower n new arrival flower. It is best to check the below tangkai before u buy. If the below tangkai is darker meaning that the flower is 2 days n above stock.
    6. Another tips to keep the flower fresh is to rip off all the leaves from the tangkai from the level u want the water in ur vase to below. This is to avoid smelly water n water should be change daily. At night just put ur flower outside for embun pagi n do not spray ur flower at night. An old man said flower is sleeping at night n u need to respect that.
    7. Try soaking the entire flower into water for overnight before the day you use. The water can be cover up the flower.
    8. Submerge them in cold waters for 30 seconds and take out.

Link : https://www.facebook.com/groups/diyparties/permalink/815460225238545/

• Alia
    January 24, 2016 - 11:59 pm | Permalink

V, here’s a very useful tip about hydrangeas. I’ve tried it and it really worked!

1. The vase should always be 3/4 full with clean water
    2. Cut the stalks diagnolly
    3. Always spray them with water (directly to the flowers)
    4. If they still show any signs of dying, fill a pot or better a basin full of water and soak them in it. Don’t just dip it, soaked everything (the flowers and the stem if possible)

InsyaAllah within few hours it will revive back to a ball full of fluffy flowers 😊 Have faith and enjoy 😘

• Alia
    January 25, 2016 - 12:00 am | Permalink

After all they’re called Hydrangeas for a reason, hydra=water… Geddit? 😅

• Anonymous
    January 25, 2016 - 1:33 am | Permalink

Mine lasted for 2 days!!! I left them in a vase of water from the moment it was bought! My florist told me to do so!

• Winnie
    January 25, 2016 - 10:12 am | Permalink

Vivy ur maid is from which agency? Is she indoesian? I am looking for a reliable indonesian maid. Pls help

• A
    January 25, 2016 - 2:35 pm | Permalink

If I’m not wrong, hydrangeas can’t rely on the water from the vase alone. You must spritz some water directly onto the flowers every 2 hours (?) if you want it to last.

• January 25, 2016 - 2:39 pm | Permalink

It should be dropped into room temp. water after cutting the stems and in hot water for only 30secs. then back into normal water.

• nurul
    January 26, 2016 - 8:38 am | Permalink

Simple tips for any flowers:
    -avoid fan/air-conditioner/wind & heat/direct light. They’re going to kill the flowers.
    -soak with water + few teaspoon of clorox/salt just to kill the bacteria.

• Wani
    January 26, 2016 - 9:03 am | Permalink

just buy artificial one.. it looks real though… ok, maybe from a far, but it still pretty..

• January 26, 2016 - 10:31 am | Permalink

I second that. Just buy the artificial one Vivy. You don’t have to spend time on these diva hydrangeas.

• pixiep
    January 26, 2016 - 12:13 pm | Permalink

vivy awak ni kelakar la..

• January 26, 2016 - 5:38 pm | Permalink

erm..my friend put into a PAIL of water. worked like a charm she said ^^

• nana
    January 26, 2016 - 11:50 pm | Permalink

V,
    my florist taught me to terbalikkan the flower, rendam it up side down ( flower down, the stalk facing you) in to a pail of water. leave it for 5-10 minutes before arranging them in to the vase.
    work wonders.
    xx

• January 27, 2016 - 3:45 pm | Permalink

are you sure about that “boiling hot water part”? it seems to kill the flower…

• didi
    January 28, 2016 - 11:50 pm | Permalink

V, you’re so funny. :’)

• January 31, 2016 - 9:15 pm | Permalink

Wah. At least the boiling hot water can do this kind of magic! Amazing.

• Naime
    February 13, 2016 - 1:00 pm | Permalink

Hi, u might wanna try dunking the flowers head first into a pail of water and leave them there a few hours the minute u get home. The flowers drink water too, this way, they will look less tired.

Try not to mix them with other flowers in a vase, just by themselves so they won’t be competing for water. As for the stalk. After cutting it diagonally, cut it again horizontal to the sides, so that they can drink more water.

Each time (maybe after a day or 2) they look tired, dunk them in head first again to freshen them up.

Try this with 1 stalk first to see if it works. Good luck!